Top 5 Tips to Banish Sugar Cravings
March 13th, 2017
Raise your hand if you’re addicted to sugar! You’re not alone. I have a major sweet tooth.
I’ll take a cupcake over a bag of chips any day and dinner often doesn’t feel complete until I’ve had something sweet. I even had a candy buffet at my wedding! Hey, just because I’m a dietitian doesn’t mean I’m perfect!
Unfortunately, when it comes to healthy skin, sugar = no Bueno! Sugar is a major beauty-buster that speeds up the aging process, and it’s also one of the top 3 acne triggers
I see in my clients.
Not only does sugar affect your skin, it can also cause mood fluctuations, brain fog and lead to cravings for MORE sugar! It’s a vicious cycle!
SUGAR IS A DRUG!
It’s actually eight times as addictive as cocaine!
When you eat sugar, the reward centres in your brain light up like a Christmas tree. It tastes great, makes you feel good (in the moment) and gives you a quick burst of energy… no wonder you end up craving more!
You may think that sugar cravings are a sign of weakness or lack of willpower, but that’s just not true! Sugar addiction is just like any other physical addiction (alcohol, caffeine, drugs) and giving it up is NOT easy. You might even experience withdrawal symptoms, just like a heroin addict.
I often have my clients go on an elimination diet (to avoid the most common skin triggers) and always get asked if it will be hard. Well I’m not gonna lie – if you normally consume a lot of sugar and suddenly cut it off, the first few days are not going to be fun. Headaches, fatigue, restlessness, irritability are all common withdrawal symptoms. Sugar is a drug and when you cut yourself off cold turkey, you will feel the effects.
Good news is within 3-5 days, you’ll start to feel a lot better and ultimately end up beating those sugar cravings. In fact, once you get used to the taste of REAL food without all that added sugar you’ll notice how sickly sweet processed foods truly are.
So what’s a girl with a sweet tooth to do? Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered.
Here are my Top 5 Tips for Dealing with Sugar Cravings!
1. Get those ZZZ’s – Lack of sleep affects your appetite hormones and is a major contributor to sugar cravings. When you’re sleep deprived, your body craves sugary foods/drinks because sugar provides a quick burst of energy.
2. Manage Stress & Emotions – What are you REALLY craving? Is it sugar or is it comfort/pleasure? Food will never satisfy an emotional need, so pay attention to how you’re truly feeling. Take some time for extra self-care and pretty soon your life will be so sweet you won’t even need all that sugar!
3. Add high magnesium foods – Sugar cravings can be a result of magnesium deficiency so include dark leafy greens, nuts & seeds, quinoa and raw cacao.
4. Consume enough protein and fats – They provide a feeling of fullness and keep your blood sugar stable. Healthy fats include avocados, coconut, extra-virgin olive oil, nuts & seeds.
5. Keep sugary treats out of the house – if they’re not in the house, it’s a lot more difficult for you to indulge on a whim!
Have you ever gone on a “sugar detox”? How did you feel?
I would love to hear your story about cutting out sugar, so leave your comments below!
If you want more updates, connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest or LinkedIn!